Wednesday, September 11, 2013

Lesson One: Don't Be a Hero

Healthy Musings
Day 2

So here we are, day two of blogging about healthier living.

Yesterday after school, Arden and I hit the ground in Zombies, Run -- Intro to 5K.  Day 1 was the introduction of the story and Arden and I just sorta walked and ran, unsure of what we were supposed to do.  But apparently OFFICIAL Day 1 started yesterday, with Week 1, Day 1.  You walk 10 minutes, then do 10 intervals of walk 1 minute, run 15 seconds.  Then you 'free run' for 10 minutes.  Run, walk, do whatever.  We spent a lot of time laughing.  That's what I love about the Zombies program.  It's fun.  You want to make it to the end of that workout to hear what's next.  10 points, Zombies, Run developers!

The app said to rest today.  I hit the road with Shelby just for a walk after I took Arden to school.  First, it is 11,000 degrees and 14 million % humidity.  It was hard.  I tracked with my Runkeeper app and didn't even crack an 18 minute mile.  Mid walk I was pretty pissed I couldn't seem to crack 18 minutes.  I contemplated not even saving the workout to my Runkeeper.  

But then the good, don't be crazy voice said hey, you're not on your arse at home.  



I promised myself I wouldn't be crazy this time. I wouldn't start this journey to health the way I normally do.  The unsustainable "I'm going to be at the gym for 90 minutes twice a day every day!  Starting Monday."

Dora kindly reminded me of the fact that the crazy was starting to sneak in already when I said I was going to hit the gym for weights.  I got a lecture gentle reminder about being sensible.  About doing weights on my rest days, but skipping doing the walk I just did on those days.  That these programs are built this way for a reason.  

I don't like it when she's right.

No comments:

Post a Comment