Saturday, March 16, 2013

Hey California

Last weekend Dora and I went out, just the two of us!  I can count on one hand the number of times that has happened since the kid arrived 7.5 years ago.  Sad, perhaps, but when your only child is in daycare from the time she is 4 months old, the last thing you want to do is leave her with a sitter on weekends.

I had learned that one of our all time favorite singers, Catie Curtis, was going to be playing in Rockport.  She played an amazing venue, the Shalin Liu Performing Arts Center.  Allow me:


Y'all, it's ON the ocean.  Amazing.  It seats 330 people, and we were in the second row.  We will visit again, what a delightful way to spend an evening!  Plus, Rockport, MA is super cute.  We came home and immediately started looking at summer houses.  Because really, why not, right?

ANYHOO.  Catie (whom we realized has been a part of our entire relationship, one of the first concerts we saw together at Women's Week in Ptown, then she was performing on our honeymoon Olivia cruise, etc) wrote/sings a song: Hey California.  Basically it's where she sees into my soul and sings a song about how awesome California is, how we question our sanity living in New England, but the song closes with...'Hey California, we're about to get our minds blown by Spring."

And it's true.  It really is. Spring here is awesome.  So is the Fall.  And it is that truth to which I am clinging as we ride out the last of this winter and I look at jobs and plot how we could relocate back to my home state of CA.  It's cold.  We've had a blizzard.  Then another 18 inches in one storm.  And more snow expected on Monday.  I'm tired of it.  But Spring is awesome.  And it's almost here.

*We'll just ignore the irony that I moved to the East Coast because I wanted seasons.

**I've said it before and I'll stay it again...21 year olds should not be allowed to make decisions.

***Catie Curtis is awesome and you should learn all about her and buy all of her cds.  Or download them, if that's your thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment