Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Resolve

Well, it's January 4th....guess it's about time to address the whole resolution deal, huh?

I can't remember a year starting off that didn't involve my commitment to losing weight. Yet year after year (well, recently anyway), I have failed to meet that pledge. I start the year jazzed up and about 3 minutes later it's all over. This year though....this year is different. Really!

In just a mere 18 months, Bobby and Mandy will be getting married. And, I'm told, there will be a photographer there. I will not live on walls or in albums in my current state of frump. This I resolve.

As for the method by which I will whittle myself down...step one? Go back to the gym! Regularly. Not here or there...but 4-5 times a week. Step two...change the diet! And this time it won't be by way of Slim Fast and it probably won't be Atkins style either. I'm going to attempt such new fandangled ideas such as portion control and better choices and increased water intake (which, coupled with decreased soda intake should, at the very least, chase away at least a couple pesky pounds).

Yes, I am fueled by vanity, but will be rewarded with better health. I think that's what they call two birds, one stone.

I am glad to say I'm not alone in all of this. It's a family affair. For example, Annette has vowed to yell at me if I don't go to the gym, and I will return the favor if she doesn't run. It'll be just like being coached by Jillian Michaels. At some point, Dora might even be brave enough to wake me up if I attempt to hit the snooze button too many times. I'm told I'm not nice at 4:30AM. I take issue with that.

I started back at the gym today. I was back from my hour at the gym before the sun came up. I kicked this whole process off with the Couch to 5K program. Last time I did this program, I was in much better shape. That said, I did not drop dead on the treadmill this morning, so we'll call it a success. I found a Couch to 5K app for my iPhone and boy does that trump the printouts I had to use last time I did this program.

In theory, in a few months I'll be ready to run a 5K. I just might sign up for a real one come spring. Or, you know, the one in Disney World in October...just for kicks.

So there you have it. 18 months. Slow and steady...and all that jazz.

1 comment:

  1. Congrats! Good luck with the C25K. I'm in Week 5 and I do use the printouts - still technologically not inclined here.... :-) I would love to do the Disney 5K sometime but for now I have a planned one in July in CT with my sister.... I'll cheer you on, too!

    ReplyDelete