Monday, January 10, 2011

Girl Uninterrupted

My office had a Yankee Swap last week. Yes, two weeks after the holidays....it's just how we roll.

One of the gifts held a most magical gift....may I present....the pirate mohawk hat:


To everyone else it was a hilarious joke perched upon the yearly Swap visitor....a tin rooster. To me? A fantastic surprise for my child. So, I swapped the cookies I unwrapped for the box that held the rooster, a packet of Swiss Miss, a (fake) signed baseball and....the hat. My colleagues know my kid. The cool kid who gets them playing pirates when she comes into the office. Arden stories make them shake their heads and chuckle and warn us against what we're in for when she turns 13. Or, you know....7. She makes them pictures and sends them her last pieces of Halloween candy.

Everyone who sees the hat knows it's perfect for Arden. Well, nearly everyone. One voice piped up....criticizing my triumph, telling me that such a hat is not ladylike. (Insert jaw dropping silence) ....I'm pretty certain my face looked something like this:


She's 5. She likes transformers.



She can recreate an entire movie with markers and paper.


She likes Curious George


She likes making things....like crayons

.... and baked goods

She can rock a guitar...


She wants to be an astronaut


She likes Scooby Doo, wears boxes on her head, and insisted that Santa bring her a goat and a zebra.


She's 5. Brilliant, diverse, curious, eager, creative, stubborn, phenomenal. Ladylike? No. She's Arden.

1 comment:

  1. Exactly! That person who piped up doesn't know what he/she is talking about!

    ReplyDelete