Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Little Miss Independent

A certain someone has crossed over into a whole new world of independence. Perhaps the most uttered phrase these days is 'I can do it myself.' She is exercising particularly extreme independence in two areas, dressing herself and putting herself to bed.

Don't get me wrong, she has been able to put clothes on by herself for awhile now, but I'll be honest, I haven't encouraged her doing it when we actually have to be somewhere. On time. Or at least somewhere in the realm of on time, meaning I get to the train station before the train leaves. Details details. She now insists on putting her clothes on. I am allowed, still, to dictate what she wears (phew), but I am then directed to leave the room. I was suspicious when this first started happening, that it was a glimpse into the future. That, like any teenager, she would wait for the door to close and just go back to sleep. Lo and behold, she actually stays awake. And puts her clothes on!

Bedtime is another exercise in independence. We are expected, of course, to read her a story, but then she asks us to leave the light on, turn on her cd player and close the door, leaving her surrounded by books. Without fail, she reads for 10 minutes, turns off the light, and whammo, asleep. Go figure.

The pictures below capture a couple of different things. 1) What she dresses herself in if we have no say and 2) That she is growing up so incredibly fast.











No comments:

Post a Comment