Sunday, July 28, 2013

Come to My Window

Behold my current view....


Ignore the glare, I thought it would be rude to tell D's roomie to shut off her light so as not to screw up my photo of the Zakim in the distance.

So I'm sitting here, perched on the most uncomfortable makeshift air conditioned window seat (Dora took my pillow, the nerve) listening to the ticking and tocking of the clock, failing not to eavesdrop on her roomie's phone conversation.  It's mostly the delightful Irish accent I'm after.  Maybe her peaceful approach to life will rub off on me.

We're on day 3 post surgery.  It sucks.  They told us it would, and they were right.  She's in a lot of pain.  And not nearly as drowsy from the drugs as the last couple of days.  We've learned a lot during this hospital stay.


1) Don't have major surgery at the end of the week, it will leave you SOL when it comes to continuity of care.
2) Hospitals that raise $200M on average per year still have seriously craptastic rooms. 
3) When you are in the hospital, have a family member present at all times to serve as your advocate.
4) Hospitals have really, really bad food.  Consistently.  Really bad.
5) Being hospitalized is the lowest of the low when it comes to preserving one's dignity.
6) Whole Foods is very, very expensive.
7) You can get a latte at 2AM.  This is helpful when that is when you are leaving the hospital and still have to drive an hour home.
8) I would be a terrible nurse what with all the blood and constant requests, but I'd like to wear scrubs to work every day and have 3 12-hour shifts a week and call it good.
9) Patient advocates do not work on the weekends.  Because why would they?
10) The healthcare system is not patient-centered, it is business-centered.

Perhaps four months from now when she's healed and running marathons, or at least walking and sitting and living without pain, I will realize that all of our frustrations and angst were worth it.

Also, I have decided to go back to school for a degree in health care administration.  I'm only half kidding.  Be part of the solution, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment